Brand name(s): Foradil
How should this medicine be used?
Formoterol comes as a powder-filled capsule to inhale by mouth using a special inhaler. For the treatment of asthma and COPD, formoterol is usually inhaled twice a day. For the prevention of breathing difficulties during exercise, formoterol is inhaled 15 minutes before exercise. After inhaling formoterol, do not use another dose for 12 hours. To help you remember to use formoterol, use it around the same time every day. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully, and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part you do not understand. Use formoterol exactly as directed. Do not use more or less of it or use it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
Do not use formoterol during an attack of asthma or COPD. Your doctor will prescribe a short-acting inhaler to use during attacks. If you are using formoterol twice a day, do not use another dose before exercising.
Formoterol controls symptoms of asthma and other lung diseases but does not cure them. Do not stop using formoterol without talking to your doctor.
Before you use the formoterol inhaler the first time, read the written instructions that come with it. Ask your doctor, pharmacist, or respiratory therapist to show you how to use it. Practice using the inhaler while he or she watches.
To use the inhaler, follow these steps:
- Separate one capsule from the blister pack by tearing along the dotted lines. Remove the capsule from its package immediately before use by peeling off the paper backing and pushing the capsule through the foil.
- Pull off the inhaler cover and twist the mouthpiece open in the direction shown by the arrow on the mouthpiece.
- Place the capsule in the chamber. Do not place it directly into the mouthpiece. Twist closed.
- Hold the inhaler upright and, at the same time, press in both side buttons once. You will hear a click as the capsule is punctured. Release the buttons.
- Turn the inhaler on its side, making sure the blue buttons are pointing to the sides.
- Exhale (breathe out) as completely as possible, but not into the mouthpiece.
- Tilt your head back slightly, place the mouthpiece in your mouth, and close your lips. Breathe in fast, steadily, and deeply. As the medicine is released from the capsule, you'll get a sweet taste and hear a whirring noise. (If you don't, the capsule may be stuck. Tap on the side of the inhaler to loosen the capsule and inhale again. Do not press the side buttons again.)
- Remove the inhaler from your mouth and hold your breath for as long as you comfortably can. Then exhale.
- Open the inhaler to see if there is any powder left in the capsule. If there is, repeat steps 5-8.
- Once the capsule is empty, remove it and throw it away. Do not leave it in the chamber. Close the mouthpiece and replace the cover.
Formoterol capsules should only be used with the special inhaler and should not be taken by mouth. Store capsules in the package and remove them immediately before use. Avoid exposing the capsules to moisture, and handle them with dry hands.
Do not use the dry powder inhaler with a spacer. Do not exhale into the device. Keep the inhaler dry; do not wash it. Always use the new inhaler that comes with a refill of your medication.
Last Revised: 01/01/2003
Last Topics in Meds-Help.com Forums
meds-help.com is intended solely for U.S. audiences; products described here may be subject to different medical and/or regulatory requirements in other countries. This site is for educational purposes only; information contained within should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease. Please consult a licensed health care provider regarding your medical condition.The products mentioned are trademarks of their respective owners and are not owned by meds-help.com.